[RASMB] (no subject)

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Fri Feb 13 11:45:01 PST 2004

Yi-Ming,

I think it doesn't really matter because the data acquisition software
won't take any scans anyway until the rotor is at full speed.

The other question is the data analysis.  The option in Sedfit is just to
take into account the fact that the rotor wasn't at full speed at time 0
(the clock for counting the sedimentation time starts when you push the
start button), but arrived at full speed only a few minutes later.  If you
have a look at the interference patterns, you can sometimes clearly see
that material is moving away from the meniscus while the rotor is still
accelerating, and with this option the Lamm equation will mimic this
behavior.  Note that although you can't get scans during this period, the
history of this will be relevant for all subsequent scans.

The Sedfit option for rotor acceleration is an alternative data treatment
to the usual way of approximately accounting for the acceleration by just
taking the w^2*t to consider an 'effective sedimentation time'.  The latter
is OK if you don't worry about diffusion (for which the true elapsed time
is relevant, not this w^2*t time-scale).  Taking into account the
acceleration phase of the rotor in the Lamm equation modeling, c(s) or
other, is a little bit more precise, although the differences are normally
not very significant.  There can be situations, however, where the
difference is more noticeable.

Peter