[RASMB] presentation graphics

Jo Butler pjgb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu May 8 12:16:00 PDT 2003

The same is true of ProFit, or rather one downloads it from the Web site of
Quantum Soft.
Like Arthur, I have found it excellent for both plotting and working with
data - I use it for almost all my data manipulation work.

Jo Butler

> On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 10:13  AM, Arthur Rowe wrote:
> ...I personally use pro Fit? on my Apple G4 for this purpose - it will
> open files from the XL-A's PC directly (over our LAN if I am feeling
> lazy), and only a trivial bit of editing is needed (incl. re-formatting
> column 1). pro Fit? (Quantum Soft, Zürich) then gives you the ability to
> display your data as you want it, multiple graphs/axes/colours and all
> that, plus the option of outputting to a range of standard file formats.
> However, you do need a Mac and pro Fit?. A good Windows alternative is
> Sigma Plot. Clunky with user-generated functions it may be, but it does
> provide quality display graphics for you.  Kind regards
> Arthur
>
> Well, I'll put in a plug for IgorPro version 4 (version 5 is on the way)
> because both Mac and Windows versions ship on the same CD. I use it
> extensively for analysis of rapid enzyme kinetics measurements, but I
> haven't used it for AUC data, since I do all that in UltraScan. But the
> grapics output of UltraScan are not as flexible as I would like. Igor is
> very powerful and programmable, and therefore takes some effort to learn,
> but the tech support by the company and on an email forum such as this is
> among the best I've ever experienced. Igor provides presentation quality,
> and allows easy importing of data from excel and any ASCII source as well
> as custom curve fitting and error analysis, but I don't know about global
> curve fitting. Sorry if this is too restricted of an endorsement.
> --Michael Bovee

P.J.G. Butler,
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology,
Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QH, UK.