[RASMB] Re: vbar of DM +OG

john.e.harlan at abbott.com john.e.harlan at abbott.com
Mon Nov 24 10:43:01 PST 2003

It has been a while since I did these measurements, but if I recall
correctly, the literature I was following suggested that the relavent vbar
was that of the detergent above the CMC.  I am pretty sure that all the
measurements that I did were above the CMC.  As you suggest Fumio, the
concentrations were all from dry weight into solution (gm/mL).  It is
likely I made a more concentrated stock (10gm/100mL?) and diluted from
there for the measurements.  Not only did the graphs from the density vs.
concentration measurements give a straight line, they were quite flat.
While the graphs were flat, I did use a vbar value extrapolated to the CMC
for each detergent I did this for.

You could probably get the concentration from the number of fringes, but
to do this I think you would need to know the refractive index increment
for the detergents in micelles.  I don't have a good idea on how to get
this value.

John

Fumio Arisaka <farisaka at bio.titech.ac.jp>
Sent by: rasmb-admin at rasmb-email.bbri.org