[RASMB] shut down problems with old XLA

John Burgner jwb at bilbo.bio.purdue.edu
Sat Oct 11 12:11:00 PDT 2003

T0: The Marvelous RASMB Knowledge Base.
Help
We have an old XLA (probably >10yrs old) that has developed a frustrating
problem over the past year or so. The XLA will spontaneously shut and print
out a 66 error. I am begining to think that it is really a 666 error, since
we can never get it to fail when the Beckman service technecians are here.
The error usually occurs just after I increase the speed from 30k to 42k rpm
during a small molecule  equilibrium run. It also happened two days ago
during a velocity run at 40k rpm and 4C, which is the first time that I have
run a velocity experiment on this machine in the past year. Beckman has
replaced both of the boards that control the motor and just recently the
motor itself. The only thing that I can see that I typically am doing
different than Beckman is that I usually have 3 cells and the counterbalence
in the rotor.
Anyone have any additional ideas?  Note that we also run a XLI right next to
the XLA off nearly the same electrical bus without problems.
Any ideas?
John
John W. Burgner
Department of Biological Sciences