[RASMB] equilibrium run questions

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Thu Oct 2 16:40:01 PDT 2003

Henry,

> 2) I am getting very choppy absorbance readings at high radius (above 6.5
> cm) in all three cells.  Could this be due to a dirty lamp, dirty
> detector, both, or something else?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes!

One 'something else' is that the lamp assembly could be poorly aligned and
consequently there is low light intensity at higher radii. Do a scan of an
empty hole in the rotor and request the intensity data---you will see a
profile of the intensity vs. radius. If you see a big variation (where +/-
20 to 30% is normal) that could be due to the alignment problem, but also
could be a dirty photomultiplier tube.

John Philo