[RASMB] Lamp Assembly

Jeff Lary jeff at spin6.mcb.uconn.edu
Tue Sep 23 09:18:01 PDT 2003

Tim,
The Beckman procedure for running a noise check is
===================================
Run a windowless double-sector cell in rotor hole #2.  Make a 3K RPM and a
60K RPM run per the parameters
Radial scan                   Yes
Mode:                          Continuous
Number of Averages    1
Step Size                      0.001 cm
Min Radius                   5.80 cm
Max Radius                  7.10 cm
Wavelength 1                190 nm
Wavelength 2                 0 nm
Wavelength 3                 0 nm

The standard deviation should be less than 0.01 for both files, to meet
engineering specifications.  If you obtain a standard deviation greater than
0.01, do a LIGHT INTENSITY CHECK ...

===================================
In order to do the 60K check you need to use an aluminum centerpiece (or one
of Tom Laue's new high speed double sector centerpieces).
===================================

We usually check our machines at 230 nm and 280 nm, at 3K RPM, between 6.0
cm & 7.0 cm, and our standard deviations are on the order of 0.003.  If you
are using an empty cell with windows then I'm not surprised that you have a
noisy scan, but I'm not sure from the wording of your message whether you
have the windows in place or not.

As to the problem with the grate for the fan none of our machines have them
over the fan but I can't remember if they were removed because of
interfering with the lamp housing or if they just never had them.

Jeff Lary
Biotechnology Center Unit-3149
ph: 860-486-5036
fax: 860-486-5005