[RASMB] Lamp Assembly

Timothy R. Mack mack at cabm.rutgers.edu
Mon Sep 22 17:23:00 PDT 2003

The standard deviation for our instrument using an empty double sector
centerpiece taken at 280nm is 0.0117AU (after the slit assembly and lamp
were cleaned). Is this a value I should be satisfied with?

With regards to my question about the gouge in the lamp assembly, I should
have been more clear. My thinking was that if the fan gate rubbed up
against the lamp assembly enough to cause a gouge in it than it could
cause the lamp to vibrate thus introducing noise. I was just curious if
any one else has seen this before. It seems to me if the gate is modified
such that it no longer contacts the assembly then the problem should be
solved however I just wanted to ask to see if anyone thought that this
could be a symptom of a more systemic problem. Thank you for your

Regards,
Tim