[RASMB] frctional ratio

Steve Shire sjs at gene.COM
Fri Jun 27 15:06:00 PDT 2003

But if the formula weight is based on amino acid composition this is
still a possibility. Does this protein have putative N-glycosylation
sites?
               Steve
On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 05:40  AM, Arthur Rowe wrote:

> Peter -
>
> Agreed, glyco stuff can be 'floppy', and increase friction. However,
> in the present case, given that the mass estimated by SLS (41.4 kD)
> agrees well with (what I take to be) the formula weight (41.7 kD), it
> is not too likely to be an explanation, is it ?
>
> Arthur
>
> Ewa and Arthur,
> there's also a possibility that the frictional ratio could be quite
> high if
> the protein is glycosylated.  In my experience, that can increase the
> friction quite a bit.
> Peter

Steven J. Shire, Ph.D.
Staff Scientist and Group Leader
Pharmaceutical Research and Development Dept.
MS #96A
Genentech, Inc.
1 DNA Way
S. San Francisco, CA 94080