[RASMB] ANNOUNCEMENT: UltraScan Workshop

John Correia jcorreia at biochem.umsmed.edu
Sat Jun 14 11:59:00 PDT 2003

The damage is strongly pH dependent.  FH is the culprit.  Its pK ?verify
this? is near 3 to 3.5 so as you approach 5 or 5.5 and below the quartz
will go opaque.  Both time & c-dependent.  We did the "experiment" years
ago while doing a pH series with tau.  Ruined six windows.  If you
search the rasmb archive there should be something from ~1994 or 95 on
this event.

 Dr. John J. "Jack" Correia
 Department of Biochemistry
 University of Mississippi Medical Center
 2500 North State Street
 Jackson, MS  39216
 (601) 984-1522
 fax (601) 984-1501
 email address: jcorreia at biochem.umsmed.edu
 homepage location: http://biochemistry.umc.edu/correia.html
 dept homepage location:    http://biochemistry.umc.edu/

>>> Fumio Arisaka <farisaka at bio.titech.ac.jp> 06/14/03 01:57 AM >>>
The older archived RASMB emails can be found at:
http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/rasmb_archives
and current archives at
http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/pipermail/rasmb/
Search All the Archives at:
http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/rasmb_search.html

Dear AUC friends,

A colleague of mine has asked me if 10 -15 mM of NaF would be harmful
to the windows/centerpiece or not.  According to him, they like to add
it
to the solution to stabilize their ATPase intermediate.  He says NaF
potentially corrodes glass, but do not know if it is still harmful at
these
concentrations.

I have asked Beckman about this, but they do not have data and all that
they can say is that it is safer not to use it.

I would appreciate it if someone has any experience or comments
concerning the matter.

Thanks in advance.  Fumio

Fumio Arisaka, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Biomolecular Engineering
Graduate School of Bioscience and Biotechnology
Tokyo Institute of Technology
5249 Nagatsuta, Midori-ku
Yokohama 226-8501  JAPAN
Tel/Fax:+81-45-924-5713