[RASMB] time to reach equilibrium

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Fri Jun 6 15:43:00 PDT 2003

Seldom do I disagree with Jack, but slow association kinetics, even for
small oligomers, is much more common than people realize.

One published example is Genentech's anti-VEGF antibody (coincidentally the
one that's driving up their stock price lately). That makes reversible
dimers, but the time to dissociate is hours to days depending on solution
conditions. Moore et al. (1999) Biochemistry 38, 13960-13967.

Based on our experience nearly all antibodies do this to some extent, and
often even more slowly than that one. (Antibodies make covalent oligomers
too).

I've seen similar phenomena in other proteins also. Just the other day I
worked on a system that appears to be primarily dimer-tetramer (very tight
dimer), and to my surprise you can resolve dimer from tetramer in
sedimentation velocity and get proportions consistent with the sedimentation
equilibrium data. This is quite a small protein too.

The good news is that velocity is a great way to detect these long-lived but
reversible oligomers. Sorry, this isn't published stuff, and I can't tell
you what this dimer-tetramer system is, but believe me, if you look closely
this phenomenon is not rare.

Just why the kinetics are so slow is an interesting question. Presumably
that indicates association is linked to a significant conformation change
(maybe exposure of hydrophobic residues?). These processes probably have
very high activation energies, so as others have pointed out, going to low
temperature may make equilibration much slower.

I can't say to what extent these phenomenon are a common cause of slow time
to equilibrium, but in my opinion the potential is certainly there.

John Philo
Alliance Protein Laboratories