[RASMB] disulfides

JA KORNBLATT krnbltt at vax2.concordia.ca
Wed Jun 4 11:16:01 PDT 2003

this is not an easily solved problem for at least a minimum of two
reasons:

disulfides, in the presence of free -SH are not stable, they undergo
disulfide exchange. that means that you have dynamic equilibria during
the centrifugation but that you do not know the rates at which exchange
is going on.

you have five -SH. the disulfides can, in principle, form between any of
the pairs. would you be able to detect these by ms, dsc or cd? i wouldn't
think so.

if i were you i would reduce them all and alkylate them so as to obviate
the problem.

all the best
jack kornblatt