[RASMB] Frict ratios, multiple species, and sedfit

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Mon Jun 2 19:23:01 PDT 2003

Avi,

I'm guessing that you are analyzing using the c(M) distribution, and indeed
that will make the M values extremely dependent on the f/f0 ratios assumed.
I agree with Peter's remark that it sounds like you have species not in a
rapid equilibrium. However, if that is really true then it seems to me you
are basically dealing with a mixture, so if you really want a mass value to
try to identify the species then you should get away from the continuous
distribution models altogether and use a mixture model (e.g. in SEDFIT or
SVEDBERG or LAMM) instead. Then you aren't making any assumptions about the
f/f0 ratios.

John Philo
Alliance Protein Laboratories