[RASMB] XLA/computer communications

Jim Bloom jim.bloom.b at bayer.com
Tue May 13 11:07:00 PDT 2003

Colleagues:
      I have had a communications problem between my XLA and computer for
several years and would appreciate any insights you might have to 'improve
communications'!
      My XLA was purchased in 1995 and has the original computer and software
(Windows for Workgroups version 3.11; User Interface 1995-1996, version 3.01g).
I turn on the power to the XLA, then the computer and boot up the software.  I
usually then do a 3000 rpm scan to determine if everything is ok.  I start the
centrifuge from the software, it goes to speed.  However, the software indicates
the centrifuge is not spinning and the scan does not start.  After about 30 min
I get a message pop up saying that there is a communications problem.  I cannot
stop the centrifuge from the software and have to use the XLA console control to
stop it.  I then exit the software and Windows, shut of the power to the
computer followed by the power to the centrifuge.  After about a minute I repeat
the above procedure.   After about 3 of these cycles communications are
established and everything is fine.
      Recently the centrifuge was moved and I had a Beckman engineer set it up.
I did not tell him about the problem above.  When he was done he indicated that
he had observed a communications problem. He knew this because he had the front
panel off the control pedestal on the XLA and could tell from the red blinking
lights on a circuit board whether communications had been established or not.
He suggested that I might try using the software to switch from Comm 1 to Comm 2
and back again but could not guarantee that this would work.   He did not have a
solution to the problem.
       My solution to the above problem is to never shut off the XLA and
computer and avoid exiting the control software program.   This solution works
fine and I am able to leave the system on for weeks without running it and when
I come back to use it everything is ok.
      I have four questions:  1.)  the obvious one, does anyone have a solution
other than never turning the system off;  2.) out of curiosity has anyone else
had the problem (whether they have a solution or not);  3.)  if I were to get
the latest computer and latest software, would the problem be corrected;  4.)
finally a more general question:  latest software and modern computer....are
they worth the cost and hassle?

Jim Bloom
Bayer Corp.
Berkeley, CA