[RASMB] presentation graphics

Michael Bovee mbovee at zoo.uvm.edu
Thu May 8 12:10:01 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 10:13  AM, Arthur Rowe wrote:
> ...I personally use pro Fit™ on my Apple G4 for this purpose - it will
> open files from the XL-A's PC directly (over our LAN if I am feeling
> lazy), and only a trivial bit of editing is needed (incl.
> re-formatting column 1). pro Fit™ (Quantum Soft, Zürich) then gives
> you the ability to display your data as you want it, multiple
> graphs/axes/colours and all that, plus the option of outputting to a
> range of standard file formats.
> However, you do need a Mac and pro Fit™. A good Windows alternative is
> Sigma Plot. Clunky with user-generated functions it may be, but it
> does provide quality display graphics for you.
> Kind regards
> Arthur

Well, I'll put in a plug for IgorPro version 4 (version 5 is on the
way) because both Mac and Windows versions ship on the same CD. I use
it extensively for analysis of rapid enzyme kinetics measurements, but
I haven't used it for AUC data, since I do all that in UltraScan. But
the grapics output of UltraScan are not as flexible as I would like.
Igor is very powerful and programmable, and therefore takes some effort
to learn, but the tech support by the company and on an email forum
such as this is among the best I've ever experienced. Igor provides
presentation quality, and allows easy importing of data from excel and
any ASCII source as well as custom curve fitting and error analysis,
but I don't know about global curve fitting. Sorry if this is too
restricted of an endorsement.
--Michael Bovee