[RASMB] Interference Optics - HELP!

Lisa Joss ljoss at biochem.utah.edu
Sun Mar 16 23:18:00 PST 2003

Hello All,
We have recently purchased an XLI and I have some questions regarding
the interference optics that I am hoping some of you can help me with.
My problem is basically non-linearity of the scans, and correction of
that non-linearity using a blank scan correction.

Firstly, when scanning an empty rotor hole the slope of the best fit
line to the resulting data is about 0.2 finges/cm (well outside
Beckman's specs of 0.04 fringes/cm). Scan's of an empty cell are
comparable.  Beckman is not terribly concerned about this and will have
a service rep align the camera to try and improve, they suggest that if
I just do the appropriate blank scan subtraction everything will be OK
(confidence that I do not share!).

Which brings me to my next, more troubling, concern - blank scan
subtractions. Subtraction of a blank scan taken of the same empty rotor
hole, empty cell or water cell does not always give me a flat baseline,
particularly when I use the option of subtracting a previously saved
scan. When dealing with only one cell the result is fine, however when I
do several cells in one scan only the one whose baseline was scanned
last is flat, all the rest have a significant deviation from zero. I
think what's happening is that even though all cells have a blank file
(blank.ipx) all the subtractions are using the last file scanned. We
have version 4.5 of the data acquisition software and it doesn't have an
option to select an actual scan so I'm assuming that it should just use
whatever the last blank.ipx is for the relevant cell. I have tried
deleting some of these blank files and the software is looking for them
- apparently just not using them. Can anyone shed any light on this?

While I agree that I need not worry about this non-linearity for our
g*(s) analysis, I am trying to get good equilibrium data for a system
that we have to use interference for (buffer contains nucleotide) and I
am sure this is causing a problem. Any suggestions or information would
be appreciated.

Thanks

Lisa

Lisa Joss
 (801) 585-3919
Postdoctoral Fellow                                           email:
ljoss at biochem.utah.edu

UNIVERSITY OF UTAH
BIOCHEMISTRY
20 N 1900 E RM 211