[RASMB] Compare MW obtained from Segal vs. MW obtained from Beckman Origin

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Tue Mar 11 17:43:00 PST 2003

Chris et al.,

I have not used the Segal software and thus can't comment specifically on
that, but I think the underlying problem here is probably your data itself.
You have a very large baseline offset of ~0.11 OD, and under such
circumstances the apparent molecular weight will be quite sensitive to the
offset value (and very highly correlated to it). I suspect the differences
between the Origin and Segal results have mostly to do with how the baseline
offsets are handled. That large baseline offset also suggests there may have
been something wrong with the sample---it actually looks to me like it may
not really be a constant offset but rather that you have some low mass
contaminant (or even some proteolysis).

Second, you haven't given any confidence limits for these numbers and thus
haven't addressed the question of whether the difference in mass results
from the different programs is even statistically significant. The Origin
software, for example, says your 'Edit 1' result of 67 kDa has a 95%
confidence interval of 62 to 71 kDa, and thus it is certainly not different
from the 65-66 kDa Origin Edit 2 or Edit 3 results. This 67 kDa value
probably is a real difference from the 59 kDa Segal result (which as I said
above probably relates to baseline offsets), but one can't even properly ask
that question unless there is a confidence limit on the Segal result.

Third, regarding your data again (but not the software issue), as Ariel
Lustig noticed too, you were using quite a long solution column (5 mm). Are
you sure that sample was fully at equilibrium within the 24 hr you
apparently gave it? That 24 hr for a 5 mm column is equivalent to <9 hr for
the usual 3 mm column height, which definitely seems too short.

Finally, I would urge some caution with trimming your data. Your message
implies that your criterion for data selection is to get the lowest
variance, but that is only a legitimate criterion if you are fitting to the
correct model. For example, it is easy to make a sample that contains
irreversible aggregates fit nicely as a single species by simply trimming
away the regions at the base where the aggregates are concentrated (and by
rigorously applying your lower variance criterion that is exactly what will
happen). Especially when you have a limited range of concentrations, getting
your data to fit a given model can quickly become a self-fulfilling prophecy
if you just trim away the points that don't fit!

Knowing what is 'good' or 'bad' data in equilibrium experiments is
unfortunately a bit of an art, but in my view should primarily be guided by
your knowledge of the hardware and optical system. Thus one easy, unbiased,
criterion for 'bad' data is that the absorbance is too high (outside the
region of linearity). It is also true that the absorbance data tend to be
bad near the base of the cell, apparently due to reflections, and that bad
region should be the same for all samples in that type of cell (since it is
a matter of cell geometry).

John Philo
Alliance Protein Laboratories