[RASMB] standard for sv

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Oct 17 11:53:00 PDT 2002

Hi Marcello -

The question you ask is a good one - although not easily answered. I have a
paper currently submitted on this general area (absolute s values, what
questions can be answered by modelling, and so on). I will try and summarise
the points most relevant to your question:

(1) there is no real point including a 'standard' in your experiments,
except as noted below, point (3). All you will do is compound the errors
(your experiment plus the 'standardisation' experiment). PSL spheres are
tempting as standard particles, but their density is so close to that of a
typical aqueous solvent that errors in their vbar become very serious. Also,
the SE of the estimate of their mean diameter may look encouraging - but not
all that encouraging when you think how critical this parameter is when you
are trying to predict absolute friction (which is what is at stake), not to
mention their absolute mass (oh dear - errors in radius x 3!)

(2) If you are attempting to determine 'absolute' s values, then the biggest
errors come in the temperature uncertainty. There is good stuff in the RASMB
archives about this. At the end of the day, the accuracy of the XL-I/A
temperature system is ±0.5 degrees only - not as good as one would like. But
the precision is better than this, and one can up the accuracy by using the
Liu & Stafford (1995) procedure.

(3) HYDRO will only predict an absolute s value if one knows the 'hydration'
term (aka the 3rd term in the scaled particle theory equation). One never
knows this very well - but there is a decent way round this. Provided one
has a reference conformer - i.e. a particle of the same (or extremely
similar) nature to one's test system (a protein-DNA complex in your case),
then one can assume that the 'hydration' term cancels if one measures all
one's s values relative to the reference conformer*. That means running
(reference conformer) and test species) in the same rotor. It's even better
if one does 'difference sedimentation' (see RASMB archives again). Relative
s values - for these we are talking down to 0.01% precision,  enabling one
to test a range of possible models rather critically.

*having pushed one's reference conformer's details through HYDRO, of course

Hope these thoughts are of some help

Arthur

Reference

Liu, S, Stafford, W  F (1995) An Optical Thermometer for Direct Measurement
of Cell Temperature in the Beckman Instruments XL-A Analytical
Ultracentrifuge  Analyt Biochem  224: 199-202.

Arthur J Rowe
Professor of Biomolecular Technology
NCMH Business Centre
University of Nottingham