[RASMB] Negative Slope on Sed Eq data

Jo Butler pjgb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Fri Dec 6 12:22:00 PST 2002

Dear Erin,

You do not describe either your protein or the solvent.
Depending upon these, your results could be perfectly valid - if the
protein has a lower density than the solvent, it will float rather than
sedimenting.  This is not just fanciful - many lipoproteins have lower
densities than water.
One important thing to note is that the standard sedimentation equations
still apply - it is just that (1 - v-bar*rho) is now negative.

Jo

--On Friday, December 6, 2002 12:04 pm -0500 Erin Matthews