[RASMB] vbar J. Su

Lustig ariel.lustig at unibas.ch
Fri Nov 1 06:25:00 PST 2002

Dear  Julie Su, dear RASMB colleagues,
your  assume  of 0.53  for RNA seems to be  in a  reasonable range. My
opinion is, that there  are
several  other factors  that may have influence  on
the  vbar,  like  hydration  in high salt concentations,
charge effects etc.. that are very little  influenced  by  temperature.

I like to give  you  some  values(you will not  find it so easy!)
that   the "POPE of densities " from  Regensburg (D)  Durchschlag H.
published in:
Durchschlag H. Thermodynamic data for  bi0chemestry and  biothechnology
(Hinz, H.-J, ED)
Springerverlag, Berlin - Heidelberg-new York - Tokio  1986 pp 45-128.

In general  for  proteins  he claims : from 4-45°C a linear  dependence of
3.5 - 5 X 10 -4 cm+3 g.

RNA from the given reference:

ribos. RNA     in ???                            °C ???       0 .52. -
0.58   about  9 references
    Ecoli               "                                    20
0 .55
     "                  ?       "                               ?
   0.54
     "                     0.1 Nacl
pH4..6             25              0.57
16 s RNA             0.2                                5              0.52
  "                         0.1kCL                          4
0.577
    "                        0.2 "                            5
jensen sarcoma        ?                               25             0.53
rat  liver                    ?                                ?
   0.53

If  you need  the references  I can  fax  them but , the
best  way  you  ask  via  RASMB  the  Durchschlag  addresse
                                            Yours....ariel

  Lustig Ariel
Biozentrum der Universität Basel
Klingelbergstr. 70
CH 4056 Basel
Switzerland
Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry  /
Analytical Ultracentrifuge Lab.TEL....+61 2672187
                                            Fax    +61 2672189
E-mail   Ariel.Lustig at unibas.ch