[RASMB] vbar of modified amino acids

Richard M Thomas rthomas at mat.ethz.ch
Wed Oct 30 11:06:01 PST 2002

Assuming that your modifications are simply at the termini, the effect on
vbar should be pretty small even for  relatively short peptides.
Alternatively, it shouldn't be too difficult to use the additivity
principle to calculate vbar for the modified constituents and to then use
these to calculate the overall peptide vbar. There are various tables of
group contributions - the one I have here is in 'Thermodynamic Data for
Biochemistry and Biotechnology' (ed Hinz).
I will admit to simply adding in an extra glycine, on occasion, as an
approximation for the N-Acetyl, C-Amide case, but don't tell anyone.

Regards to all
Richard

Dr Richard M Thomas
Institut für Polymere