[RASMB] SedAnal: Sedimentation Velocity Analysis package called SedAnal

Walter Stafford stafford at bbri.org
Thu Oct 17 15:50:00 PDT 2002

Dear Jim,

    Your concern is well taken. SedAnal addresses systems that are not
treated by any of
the existing software packages that you listed. SedAnal is designed
mainly to analyze
heterologous, reversibly interacting systems. But I has more general
capabilities that allow it
handle non-interacting as well as self-associating systems. This pagaage
and
its predecessor, ABCD_Fitter, were devloped originally to treat two step
binding
reactions like antigen antibody systems. SedAnal expands the
capabilities of ABCD_Fitter
to arbitrary reaction schemes of a more general nature. So SedAnal fills
a need that
I had for the analysis of several systems. Some of these systems are
probably not unlike
those being studied by others.  The email I sent actually explains it a
little more. You might
also check the user's manual to get a better idea of what it can do.

Walter

     Walter,
           Thank you very much for this information.   I consider
     myself a novice to
     average user of the XL-A and have had the instrument for about
     8 years.  What I
     find most difficult to understand about this technique is the
     large variety of
     software available for data analysis.  It is all very
     confusing.  At the present
     time I am using Peter Schuck's Sedfit but I have also used
     John Philo's and
     Borries Demeler's software.  I have learned the ins and outs
     of these analysis
     packages and what they can do for me and what they can't but
     it took a lot of
     time.
           Why should I try out SedAnal?  Let me put it a different
     way, why was
     SedAnal written?  The implication is that there are failings
     in the other
     software that this new software will address.  What are these
     failings and are
     they relevant to someone like me?  Should I spend a
     considerable amount of time
     I don't really have to try SedAnal out?
           Please do not misinterpret my email...I am not being
     critical of anyone
     and in fact think it is wonderful to have such variety.  I
     have found to my
     pleasure that the members of the AUC community are truly 'salt
     of the earth
     people'.  The problem perhaps I am trying to articulate is the
     lack of say a
     'Consumer's Reports' in which software is 'peer reviewed' and
     the plus and
     minuses of each described.   This report or publication would
     recommend software
     for the typical user with the typical applications.  Such a
     comparison would be
     a tremendous boon to the community!
           Thanks!
           Jim Bloom