[RASMB] 1)Diffusion coefficient and 2) ATP

Jo Butler pjgb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 24 05:40:01 PDT 2002

Dear Songpon,

As someone who has worked with nucleic acids, I feel able to reply to your
second point.

ATP is a nucleotide triphosphate and its absorption maximum will be around
260nm (not 280 as you suggest, although the tail extends out here).
However, it will also absorb strongly at 230nm and, with 200:1 ATP to
protein your whole experiment will be swamped by the absorbance of the free
ATP.  The actual Mr depends on the exact salt, but for most likely forms it
is ~500Da, so you cannot expect any significant redistribution of free ATP
during sedimentation - and even if your protein binds say 2 ATP, you will
still have 99% of the ATP unliganded.
A further complication is that NTPs are labile to hydrolysis, both by any
contaminating enzymes and also simply by the water of your buffer.  This is
why many experiments are conducted with the non-hydrolysable sulphur and
methylene variants of NTPs, rather than the natural phosphates.  Thus as
your experiment runs, you will have steadily less ATP and more ADP, or even
AMP, present.  With the initial excess of ATP this may not matter for the
binding, but you should be aware of this as the lower phosphate forms may
compete with the triphosphate.

Overall, I am afraid that I have grave doubts about whether your
sedimentation equilibrium experiment will be interpretable.

Sorry,

Jo

--On Monday, September 23, 2002 5:30 pm -0700 songpon <songpon at scripps.edu>