[RASMB] Centrifugal force and protein dissociation

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jul 24 12:06:00 PDT 2002

Dear Songpan

What Jack Kornblatt says is unquestionably correct - but it is also true to
say that dissociation of oligomeric proteins at such low pressures is a very
rarely reported phenomenon.

I am not clear from what you say as to just how you have analysed your data.
If you have found a good fit to a 'mixture' - the word you use - of monomer,
dimer and tetramer, then why not believe it ?  I assume you have a good
baseline (which optics are you using ?) and that the residuals for your fit
appear to be randomly distributed, with no trend line apparent. Long-term
storage (in the cold ?) could cause slow dissociation, via weakening of
hydrophobic bonding.

How to be sure that its a mixture that you have, and not a chemical
equilibrium ? The classical way to find that out is to do multiple runs at
several concentrations. You could try for a global  fit, but equally simply
analyse all 3 runs and see if you get essentially the same estimates for
amounts of monomer etc. Bear in mind that the lower the loading
concentration, the less the precision, of course. A reversible equilibrium
must change on dilution, so this is a critical test.

If you do then find solid evidence for the presence of a reversible
equilibrium, then analysis becomes more complex, but let's leave that for
the moment !

Hope this helps

Regards

Arthur Rowe