[RASMB] hydrodynamic radius

Karthe P. karthe at onyx.cbse.uab.edu
Thu Jul 11 16:37:00 PDT 2002

Hello RASMBers:

I am a crystallographer and dont have experience with the techniques of
biophysical charaterisation of proteins.

We recently solved one crystal structure and we think there is a significant
conformational change in the protein structure in a solution state and in a
crystalline state.

So we did ultercentrifugation and obtained the hydrodynamic radius which
is 3.4271 E-07 cm.  Then using protein coordinates we calculated hydrodynamic
radius (with the program HYDROPRO) which is   2.709E-07 cm.

My question is, can I say the conformation of the molecule in solution is
different from the crystalline state.

Thanks
Karthe

P. Karthe Ph.D
Center of Biophysical sciences & Engineering
1025 18th Street South
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Birmingham, AL 35294, USA

email: karthe at onyx.cbse.uab.edu