[RASMB] Fw: Can 0.25M of NaCl take care of nonideal behavior of a protein?

Yun-Ru (Ruby) Chen ychen5 at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Jun 20 11:53:01 PDT 2002

Hi, Dr. Laue:
          Thank you for your kindly reply. I have sent out an email describing my conditions, but I don't think it has been posted. Here are the information that I provided in my last email.
        "The concentrations of my sample are as follows: For the ones in Tris/DTT buffer without salt, they are 121, 60, and 30 uM (Abs @280=1, 0.5,
0.25). For those in 0.25M NaCl/ Tris/DTT buffer, they are 79, 36, and 18 uM.(Abs at 280 = 0.65, 0.3 , 0.15). I have rechecked my samples by SDS-PAGE,
they looked fine, at least no other major band present. The speeds I used are 24, 32, and 45K rpm. The sigma factors for those speeds in order are 0.7433,
1.3215, and 2.613. The sigma factor is calculated by the definition (Mb*w^2)/RT.
       About the DTT problems, I have 0.2mM DTT in my samples. The thing is that my protein has only one Cysteine. Therefore, there is no
intramolecular S-S bonds, but perhaps a potential of forming intermolecular S-S bonds."
       The B often comes out negative. Recently, I have some more progress. I have pretty good results from gel exclusion showing this protein is a 1-4-8 (even 10)
association. I rechecked my AUC SE data and found I can fit them all to a 1-4-8 model. The octamer is much less than tetramer, also the tetramer is much less than octamer. When I replace DTT (1 mM) by TCEP (0.5mM) in my buffer (250mM NaCl, 30mM Tris, pH 8), I don't see the octamer anymore. But I still have to confirm this since the loading sample concentration is about 1/3 different.
       I will check the v bar carefully. We would like to do the sedimentation equilibrium again once we have a better idea from the sizing column. Does anyone know what TCEP concentrations is good for AUC studies? And should I do sedimentation velocity to get more information?
       Dr. Laue, I am very happy to get your reply since I have given a student seminar on AUC and have heard and read about you.
Regards,
Ruby