[RASMB] Fw: Can 0.25M of NaCl take care of nonideal behavior of a protein?

John Correia jcorreia at biochem.umsmed.edu
Tue Jun 4 14:18:00 PDT 2002

If you are fitting to a monomer-dimer model? what happens when you make
K2 independent - do the channels fit separately with random residuals
and do the K2 values decrease with increasing loading concentration
which would indicate heterogeneity or aggregation.  Reducing agents will
not fix S-S linkage problems that originate with the tendancy of a
protein to aggregate.  Reduction will simply make SH groups available to
crosslink to other monomers/dimers and typically makes the aggregation
worse.  TCEP is a stronger reductant and for reversible S-S problems
will fix the aggregation, but likewise it will not fix the tendancy to
aggregate independent of S-S.

John has asked you for concentration ranges to interpret the
nonideality suggestion, but also tell us the range of OD's you are
values are you running.

 Dr. John J. "Jack" Correia
 Department of Biochemistry
 University of Mississippi Medical Center
 2500 North State Street
 Jackson, MS  39216
 (601) 984-1522
 fax (601) 984-1501