[RASMB] RE: Reductants, Was: Can 0.25M of NaCl take care of nonideal behavior of a protein?

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Tue Jun 4 13:12:01 PDT 2002

Ruby,

I doubt your problems have to do with non-ideality. I assume you meant a
charge of -1.5, not a pI. You never said what protein concentrations you are
using, and salt can never get rid of the excluded volume portion of
nonideality, but I certainly would expect that .25 M of NaCl would suppress
the charge repulsion.

My guess is that your problems are related to the DTT, not nonideality. You
will have variable amounts of DTT oxidation occurring over the course of the
run, causing shifting baseline offsets. See earlier discussions on RASMB
about DTT and other reductants.

[To the group] Speaking of reductants, I noticed recently that Pierce is
selling TCEP immobilized on gel particles. I'm wondering if these could be
put into the cell and basically keep the reductant down at the cell base and
(mostly) out of the light beam. Has anyone tried this? The literature I saw
didn't indicate the particle size, so I don't know whether they would fit
through the loading holes in a 2-channel or external loading 6-channel
centerpiece, but presumably this would at least be possible in a regular
6-channel.

John Philo
Alliance Protein Labs