[RASMB] rotor sticking on spindle

Les Hicks hicks at ualberta.ca
Tue Jun 4 11:30:01 PDT 2002

Hi folks,

    While I wait for Beckman to return my call, I thought I'd check to see
if anyone else has encountered the problem I'm presently experiencing.  The
last few runs on the XL-I the rotor has been sticking on the drive spindle
(intermittently - not every run).  I've found that  either lowering or
raising the rotor temperature has freed it so that it can be lifted off as
is normally done.  This last run was performed at 5 deg. C., and I have not
been able to free it even after heating it up to 30 deg. C.  I'm in the
process of dropping the temp. back down to 1 or 2 deg. to see if that will
help.   I'm hesitant to lift it too hard for fear of damaging the drive
spindle or seals.  Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Les Hicks

Les Hicks
PENCE / Dept. of Biochemistry