[RASMB] Fwd: negative concentrations? from Heather Peto

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Mon Apr 15 14:56:00 PDT 2002

Heather,

To expand a bit on Walter's earlier response, it's important to realize that
with interference data the zero offsets are arbitrary and usually can be
anything from +/- 1 fringe. In your case, with such a low mass peptide,
unless you are running at very high speeds the peptide concentration near
the meniscus may well still be quite high (a substantial fraction of that
near the cell base), so potentially the offset could even be more than one
fringe if the loading concentration was high (i.e. the true concentration
reading near the meniscus could be more than one fringe).

Another thing that could easily cause apparent negative concentrations is
miss-matched salt and buffer concentrations---at the high rotor speeds one
needs for a small peptide there is quite significant sedimentation of the
salts etc. and for interference data you really need to use a dialysate as
the reference.

John Philo
Alliance Protein Laboratories