[RASMB] questions

Daryl Bosco bosco at brandeis.edu
Fri Mar 29 18:40:01 PST 2002

Hello, I have just started performing analytical ultracentrifugation
experiments and have some basic questions for more experienced users.

I have collected an initial data set on a Beckman XL-A and analyzed data
using Origin 4.1 16 bit software with the Self-Association Model.  I am
looking at a monomer/ dimer equilibrium between two DIFFERENT proteins,
where the Kd has been estimated by other methods to be 15 uM.  At higher
concentrations (above 15 uM) I see there is a larger dimer content.  Taking
3 data sets at 5, 15 and 60 uM, I get an apparent Ka of 1.9 in absorbance
units (Origin software)

My questions:

To convert the Ka to a Kd in concentration units, do I take the reciprocal
of the Ka (1/1.9) and divide that by the extinction coefficient and path
length?  ie   0.53/(1.2cm)(19000cm-1)or is the calculation more
complicated?  This will give ~ 20uM in agreement with the other methods.

I am going to use the NONLIN software for self-association in order to
(again) calculate the Kd for protein A and protein B.  Is the self
association model a good model for monomer/ dimer equilibrium for different
proteins (as opposed to protein A forming a dimer with
itself---homodimerization)?

How many data sets does one acquire to calculate an accurate kd?  Is it
similar to a binding curve where you want to start below the kd and have
points WELL above the kD (SATURATED)?  I do not expect 60 uM to be fully
saturated, but I do get a reasonable kD from 3 points (listed above) and if
I go any higher the Absorbance within my cell will be too high.

Finally, how do you calculate speed and concentration factors for the
NONLIN software (in the dialog box before the catual fitting)?

I appreciate any feedback you could give-

thank you

Daryl Angela Bosco