[RASMB] AUC of RNA and RNA-proteins complexes

Jo Butler pjgb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 7 08:20:00 PST 2002

Dear Pascal,

A v-bar of 0.55ml/g is more typical of DNA than RNA and you might well do
better using 0.5ml/g for RNA.
If your synthetic nucleotides fold, as most RNA sequences do, 3S is not
that surprising - tRNAs (70-80 nucleotides) are around 4S.

I have used AUC with both RNA and DNA complexes and life was not hell.  The
main thing, particularly with RNA, is to be really pedantic about
cleanliness of your cells to avoid any nuclease contamination.  The same,
of course applies if you are working with protease sensitive proteins.
By following this principle, I have even run long-column equilibrium runs
with RNA and, on other occasions, histones with not problem of degradation.
Since the solutions were not sterilised, I can only assume that the
contaminating bacteria were immobilised on the bottom of the cells and
unable to secrete proteases or nucleases.

Jo Butler

--On Wednesday, March 6, 2002 5:06 pm -0800 pascal egea