[RASMB] membrane protein

Jo Butler pjgb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 13 12:41:00 PST 2002

Dear Songpon,

Neal Robinson gives a good description of one approach to handling
detergent which has been used to solubilise membrane proteins, and it is a
widely used one.
However, I would like to put in a word for an alternative which does not
depend upon characterising the detergent, namely measuring the density
increment of the protein as it occurs at constant chemical potential of all
diffusible components (i.e. effectively at dialysis equilibrium or as it
comes off a gel permeation column in the relevant buffer).  This technique
is based on the fundamental work of Casassa & Eisenberg, H. (1964;
Thermodynamic analysis of multicomponent solutions, Adv Prot Chem 19,
287-395) and, if the protein concentration is measured alone (e.g. by amino
acid analysis) will give the molecular mass of the protein component of any
micelle - which is often what one actually wants - without involving any
approximation.
Measuring density increments is not difficult, with the Paar Density meter
one needs <1ml of solution (and solvent), preferably at a concentration of
a few mg/ml - but the material is recovered and is available for the
sedimentation runs.
I have applied this technique to a number of proteins, describing it at a
Meeting of the UK AUC Users Group (Butler; 1998; Use of density increment
in assessing protein aggregation under unusual conditions, Biochem Soc
Trans 26, 749-753).  It has the great advantage that one is actually
measuring the relevant parameters to get the answer which you actually want
in most cases.

Jo Butler

--On Tuesday, February 12, 2002 6:24 pm -0800 Songpon Deechongkit