[RASMB] Analysis of Detergent Solubililzed Membrane Proteins

Neal C. Robinson robinson at uthscsa.edu
Wed Feb 13 10:37:00 PST 2002

We have quite a bit of experience analyzing detergent solubilized membrane
proteins in the analytical ultracentrifuge.
I would suggest that you refer to some of our publications regarding the
effect of detergent concentration and how to correct for bound detergent.

Musatov & Robinson (2002) "Cholate Induced Dimerization of Detergent or
Phospholipid Solubilized Bovine Cytochrome c Oxidase" Biochemistry (in press).

Musatov et al. (2000) “Detergent-Solubilized Bovine Cytochrome c Oxidase:
Dimerization Depends upon the Amphiphilic Environment” Biochemistry 39,
12996-13004

Musatov et al. (1999) “Detergent Solubilized E. coli Cytochrome bo3
Ubiquinol Oxidase: A Monomeric, Not A Dimeric Complex” FEBS Lett. 457 153-156.

Robinson et al. (1998) “Analysis of Detergent Solubilized Membrane Proteins
in the Analytical Ultracentrifuge”  ChemTracts: Biochem. Molec. Biol. 11
960-968.
(I'll be happy to send a pdf file of this article to you if you can't find
it in your library)

Musatov & Robinson (1994) "Detergent-Solubilized Monomeric and dimeric
Cytochrome bc1 Isolated from Bovine Heart" Biochemistry 33 13004-13012.

Robinson & Talbert (1986) "Triton X-100 Induced Dissociation of Beef Heart
Cytcohrome c Oxidase into Monomers" Biochemistry 25 2328-2335.

Robinson & Tanford (1975) "The binding of Deoxycholate, Triton X-100,
Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate and Phoshpatidylcholine Vesicles to Cytochrome b5"
Biochemistry 14 369-378.

I hope this helps.
Neal Robinson

                Neal C. Robinson
                Department of Biochemistry   MC 7760
                The Univ. of Texas Health Science Center
                7703 Floyd Curl Dr.
                San Antonio, TX 78229-3900
                Phone: (210) 567-3754
                FAX:     (210) 567-6595