[RASMB] Scan times vs speed on XL's

Andrew Leech A.Leech at uea.ac.uk
Wed Feb 6 08:20:00 PST 2002

I have noticed that the scan times vary at different speeds using
the absorption optics. Lower speeds seem to take longer.

Can this be attributed to the synchronisation of the lamp firing
with the rotor position? It struck me that if one chose just the
wrong speed, the rotor might have to do an extra rotation because
the lamp wouldn't be quite ready to fire again when the cell came
round. (Rather like "interleaving" on old disk drives.)

If so, then quite a small change in speed might have a large effect
on scan time. Has anybody observed this, and is there any practical
way to choose a good speed? (say, a rule of thumb formula)

Andrew

Dr Andrew Leech                  *Tel +44 (0) 1603 593585
Senior Research Assistant        *Fax +44 (0) 1603 592250
School of Biological Sciences    *Email a.leech at uea.ac.uk
University of East Anglia        *
Norwich NR4 7TJ,  U.K.           *