[RASMB] Chaos Summary & Quest.

Walter Stafford stafford at bbri.org
Sat Dec 15 16:12:01 PST 2001

Hi Olin,

	A slowly re-equilibrating system would not be expected to
lead to convection.

	One possibility is that you have an association-dissociation
equilibrium with a significant positive volume change on association.
The higher pressures at the bottom of the cell would shift the
equilibrium to the dissociated form leading to negative concentration
gradients which will result in convection in the absence of a
stabilizing gradient. For small volume changes, redistribution of
buffer components (i.e. higher NaCl concentration) may be enough to
stabilize the solution against convection.

You could try running at a lower speed to reduce the pressure to see
if that made any difference.

Walter Stafford