[RASMB] Vbar in MS Word?

Andrew Leech A.Leech at uea.ac.uk
Fri Dec 14 05:54:00 PST 2001

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Kelly LeFevre wrote:

> I am now trying to write up my AU methods for publication (hopefully!!).
>  Can anyone tell me how to create the Vbar symbol in MS Word?  Greek letters
> are easy, even umlauts are OK, but overlining letters seems impossible.

I managed to create a passable Vbar by taking an italic v and a long dash
(hyphen) from the "Character Map" accessory (in Windows Startup menu) in
Word, then using the Format->Font->Character Spacing box to raise the
dash by 4 pts then condense the spacing by 12 pts. You might need to
fiddle with this a bit depending on what font you use. (It seems rather
ironic to have to make a fancy word processor do what a backspace and
roller shift did on a typewriter!)

I think the Equation Editor method is probably better for more complex
expressions though.

Andrew

Dr Andrew Leech                  *Tel +44 (0) 1603 593585
Senior Research Assistant        *Fax +44 (0) 1603 592250
School of Biological Sciences    *Email a.leech at uea.ac.uk
University of East Anglia        *
Norwich NR4 7TJ,  U.K.           *