[RASMB] measuring cell positions

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Sun Nov 18 17:53:00 PST 2001

Regarding the comment that the interference optics appears to give the
average position for the sample and reference sides, it seems to me the
physics says the fringes can only exist where the light goes through both
sides, so their disappearance should measure the position of whichever side
is closest to the center of the channel rather than the average of the two.
Further, if the averaging idea was correct then the radial calibration
procedure for interference would not work, since the counterbalance is
designed to put the edge at 5.85 and 6.15 cm on only one side.

However, in theory it should be possible to image the two sides separately
by deliberately moving the delay setting (laser timing) so that only one
side or the other is actually illuminated. You won't see any fringes under
such conditions, of course, but nonetheless the superimposed image of the
cell should tell you the position of that channel (and probably with more
precision than the absorbance optics).

A good test for whether that idea would work would be to try to see the two
different edge positions (sample vs. reference) for the radial calibration
slits within the counterbalance. (I can't try it myself since I only have an
XL-A!).

John Philo
Alliance Protein Laboratories