[RASMB] raptor problems

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Fri Nov 9 15:23:00 PST 2001

Michael,

The Raptor video card is EXTREMELY fussy about both computers and operating
system. I can't imagine that anyone at Beckman would have told you that you
could swap in a computer not supplied and tested by Beckman and not have
problems. I know that even when Beckman orders what is ostensibly the same
computer model from IBM, they find that some will not run reliably due to
minor changes in motherboard components or BIOS versions.

To my knowledge **officially** the data acquisition software will not run
under anything but Windows 95, although I hear it does appear to work under
Windows 98. I believe they will shortly switch to Windows NT or 2000.

There are also issues of interrupt conflicts with the Raptor board, which is
not really at all 'plug-and-play' compatible. Usually this only arises when
there is a network interface in the computer, which tends to grab the
interrupt line the Raptor board insists on using. Beckman has some
documentation about this network card issue and how to work around it.

So I'm afraid you have headed down a troublesome and painful path. My
advice: go back to your old computer, put it on the network, and transfer
the data to your new one via the network. Or wait until Beckman switches
over to using Windows 2000 and MAYBE your new computer will work then.

John Philo