[RASMB] still Beckman software

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Tue Oct 23 10:28:59 PDT 2001

Kristian,

Sorry, I don't completely understand your question about that specific
simulation, but yes I believe the simulations are correct. They certainly
match quite closely what I see in real absorbance experiments, and that
simulator is very handy for planning equilibrium experiments.

You can ignore the whole units and conversion factors issue by simply
entering your loading concentrations in instrument units (fringes or
absorbance) and leaving the conversion factor at 1. If you do that the
simulated curves will be in instrument units also.

A simulation for 10 mg/ml of a 5 kDa molecule at 60K (assuming vbar = .73
and rho = 1) should not reach 250 fringes at the cell base. For such a
simulation I get about 150 fringes at the base, and ~30 fringes at a
location ~60% of the way down the cell, which should indeed be close to the
cell base I suspect you did not change the mass from the default 68 kDa.

Also, regarding Jo Butler's comment, while he is certainly right that the
refractive increment is also wavelength dependent, I beg to differ with his
statement that the wavelength does not directly influence the fringes per
mg/ml conversion factor.

'Hope this helps,

John Philo